How Does It Work?
How to Get Signed Up
1. To register your distillery and your products for the Competition, first visit the Competition Categories page. There you will select which Categories in which you wish to compete. Click the “Register Now” button below each Category and on the following page you will enter your pertinent information and add the Submission to your Cart. Each category will be added to your cart individually, so just click the back button in your browser to return to the Categories page and continue to add your submissions.
2. Once all of your submissions have been added to your cart, click the “View Cart” button.
3. Proceed with entering your account and payment details.
4. Once payment is complete, visit the Documents & Downloads page to download the Shipping Label for your package(s).
Step By Step
All distilleries that meet our eligibility requirements must register their submissions via this website by April 30th, 2021. Click here to be taken to the Submission Registration page.
Please note Distillery University must receive your physical submissions by May 15th, 2021 to be considered for the Competition. Continue scrolling this page for more shipping information.
Once the submissions are received, they are stored in a secure facility until the date of the Competition. Only Distillery University staff will have access to the facility.
The Competition is a blind tasting, and as such each judge will be given no indication as to the originating distillery for each spirit. Care will be taken to match spirit types with a judge who has expert-level knowledge of that spirit type in order to provide for the most comprehensive evaluation possible. Also, be aware that each submission will not be compared to any other submission; rather, each will be judged and rated on its own merit.
During the tasting process, the judges will rate each submission on a scale of 1-100, and also provide tasting notes. These notes will not be made public and will only be released to the submitting distillery. Only scores of 70 or higher will receive medal consideration; scores of below 70 will not be published.
Once all submissions have been evaluated, entrants can expect to receive their results within 5-6 weeks.
Medals will be awarded according to the following rubric:
- Scores of 70-79: Bronze Medal
- Scores of 80-89: Silver Medal
- Scores of 90-95: Gold Medal
- Scores of 96-100: Double Gold Medal
To be eligible to enter the Competition, you must meet the following criteria:
- be a licensed distillery within the United States (DSP required)
- OR, be a licensed distillery within your country
- all participants must have been licensed on or after January 1st, 2016
- submit payment either through this website or via check before April 30th, 2021
- submit your registration details through this website before April 30th, 2021
- follow all shipping requirements as explained on the Shipping Information page
Entry fees for the Tasting Competition are as follows:
- Early Registration: $199 per submission, per category until March 31st, 2021.
- Standard Registration: $249 per submission, per category until April 30th, 2021.
- Special Offer: If your distillery has a Lifetime Access Membership to Distillery University, we are pleased to offer you 1 free submission when you submit 2 or more products. Save $249! Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org before registering.
To ensure your submissions reach us in a timely and secure manner, please adhere to the following shipping guidelines and requirements:
- For each submission, please include two (2) 750ml bottles or equivalent. For example, if you are entering both the Vodka and Gin categories, you must send four (4) 750ml bottles in total.
- For Ready-to-Drink submissions, please include four (4) 12oz cans per submission.
- Do not use the United States Postal Service for shipping. They do not ship alcohol and your package will be denied.
- Each package must have our Tasting Competition shipping label clearly visible on the outside of the box. To download the shipping label, please click here.
- Please ensure your submissions are packaged securely to avoid any breakage. Distillery University is NOT responsible for any damage to your submissions and may result in your inability to compete with no refunds given.
Note for international entrants: All Submissions must be first sent to your normal Alcohol Importer. You will forward our shipping label to them for their use when they ship your Submissions to our office. If you do not have an Alcohol Importer or have questions, please send us a message at email@example.com.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Stay up to date on Distillery University and Competition news.
608 W. 2nd Ave. Suite 307
Spokane, WA 99201
+1 (509) 999-1244